I’m starting to feel the pressure. I received an SMS from my mobile provider with this friendly warning:
Hello. From 16 August the cost of sending an MMS in the UK and sending an SMS or MMS internationally is going up. The good news is there are loads of apps that can send text, pics and videos using your data allowance. For more info, [hyperlink to their info page]
I don’t know about you, but to me it feels like they’re trying to make my little Samsung C3050 obsolete! This comes not long after I discovered that Singapore has turned off its 2G, meaning that my phone is completely useless when I travel there.
This prompted me to do a little research and the results are truly horrifying:
- Australia: 2G no longer supported by 30.04.2018
- Japan: 2G no longer supported since 01.03.2011
- Singapore: 2G no longer supported since 01.04.2017
- Taiwan: 2G no longer supported since 01.07.2017, 3G no longer supported by 31.12.2018
- USA: 2G GSM no longer supported by 31.12.2020, CDMA not disclosed
However, it’s not all bad news, as Vodafone have said they will continue to support 2G in Europe until 2025!
Unfortunately for me, I’m not with Vodafone.